Are you a business owner in need of thermal receipt paper? Productivity, cost-effectiveness, and convenience are probably on your mind as you shop around. Thermal receipt paper is an ideal solution to many businesses’ needs for a reliable, easy-to-use product that will help them save money.
Not only does it offer long-term reliability, but it also provides other key advantages that can benefit any business looking to increase productivity while cutting costs. So let’s take a closer look at the several benefits of using thermal paper rolls so that you can make the best decision for your company.
What is Thermal Receipt Paper?
Thermal paper is a type of paper that changes color when exposed to heat. It is commonly utilized in thermal printers, particularly in low-cost or portable machines like cash registers, adding machines, and credit card terminals. Four essential characteristics — image stability, static density, dynamic sensitivity, and density — distinguish thermal paper from normal paper.
Why Switching to Thermal Paper is Beneficial?
Switching to thermal paper will prove highly beneficial to your business. The major advantages include:
- Top-Quality Images – If you print brochures regularly, thermal printing can be better than traditional printing. With thermal printing, you can get high-quality images that are not blurry, making it an excellent choice for those in marketing or advertising.
- Low Overall Cost – Thermal printing doesn’t require ink ribbons or supplies as it uses heat transfer to produce images. Compared to impact printers, thermal printers have fewer moving parts, are more durable and reliable, and have lower maintenance costs due to fewer repairs and service calls.
- Silent Printing – Switching to thermal printers has a major advantage in being less noisy than traditional printers. With thermal printers, you can have high-quality, durable images printed quietly.
- Better Speed – Thermal printers are faster and can produce images quickly using the heat of the thermal printhead. This makes thermal paper printing ideal for quick label or package printing, printing receipts for customers, and printing images on quickly-drying ID cards.
- Accurate Printing – If your business requires printing a large volume of labels, receipts, tickets, and billing papers, it is essential to ensure that the printouts are legible for your customers. Thankfully, the thermal paper has a uniform, smooth covering on its surface, resulting in high-quality prints without the use of ink ribbons. This means you can expect high-definition and clear output, especially for computer billing papers and various ticket types.
Thermal Receipt Paper: Factors to Consider
Before investing in thermal paper, it is important that you take into account the below-mentioned factors:
- Compatibility – It is important to ensure that the products you use in your business are compatible. For instance, if your printer cannot support the type of thermal paper used in your cash register, you won’t be able to print receipts. So, choose a thermal paper that can work with various devices to avoid this problem.
- Size – The size of the thermal paper roll you purchase should match the number of receipts needed per transaction. For businesses requiring more than one receipt per transaction, buying a larger roll is recommended to avoid running out of paper quickly. Make sure to choose a roll with an endpaper indication line to indicate when it’s time for a replacement.
- Thickness – A thermal paper’s durability and lifespan depend on its thickness. The durability of thermal paper increases with its thickness. However, thick thermal paper rolls are short and can only print a few documents at a time. Try to obtain a thermal paper with at least three protective layers and a thickness of 80–90 microns if you want to assure optimal effectiveness and longevity.
- Quality – The longevity and functionality of paper depend on its quality, which also affects its printing results in a printer. Premium thermal paper can produce sharper images and text on receipts and has a better resistance against paper jams, smudges, and curls. Thermal papers suitable for diverse environmental conditions should endure heat and moisture, preventing them from fading or getting brittle for an extended period.
Industries that Benefit from Thermal Paper Printing
- Healthcare – Thermal printers are used in the healthcare industry to print labels and tags for different processes. They can aid in improving patient flow, bed utilization, and asset allocation. Smart labels printed by these printers can assist in tracking medical equipment and patients during emergencies. The increased use of automated identification, which increases productivity, is the cause of the increase in the use of thermal printers in the healthcare industry.
- Retail – Retailers prioritize providing customers with fast and efficient point-of-sale (POS) services. Thermal printing is preferred over impact printing due to superior quality and high speeds. Besides being cost-effective, thermal printers have led to their widespread adoption. Technological advances have also made portable thermal printers available.
- Logistics – Thermal printing has seen rapid growth in transportation and logistics. This includes industries such as airlines, distribution, mail, packaging, freight delivery, and railroads. Notably, delivery companies like FedEx and TNT were among the first to use barcode technology to track airline baggage.
To conclude, thermal receipt paper has several advantages for businesses and industries. It’s easy to print on, versatile, reduces waste, and can withstand environmental conditions better than regular paper. For individuals looking to make the switch, there are certain factors to consider, such as printer compatibility and cost.
Industries ranging from logistics to healthcare make use of thermal paper printing products to their benefit. Therefore, choosing the right thermal receipt paper supplier is also essential for a smooth transition. A reliable supplier like Telemark Diversified Graphics provides excellent customer service and competitive prices for all your thermal paper needs.
Q. Mention the difference between thermal paper and regular paper.
The difference between thermal media and regular paper is that thermal media is covered with a combination of chemicals and dyes. To create the desired outcome, the printhead in a thermal printer heats certain areas of the paper.
Q. Which sectors make use of thermal receipt paper?
Thermal paper is commonly used in various industries, such as transportation, retail, gaming, mobile, and healthcare.
Q. Mention the proper method to store thermal paper.
To make sure thermal paper lasts longer, store it in an airtight container that can prevent dust and moisture damage. Do not use plastic bags or cardboard boxes as they offer insufficient protection. In addition, plastic bags may contain plasticizers that can harm the thermal image.
Q. Is it possible to reuse thermal paper?
Reusing thermal paper is not recommended as it is chemically treated to darken when exposed to heat. Therefore, it should be responsibly discarded after a single use to ensure clear prints.