Are you looking for the right thermal paper to suit your needs? With so many available products, it can be overwhelming to narrow down and decide which item is the best fit. In this blog, we’ll look closer at what makes up thermal paper — the components that make this type of paper ideal for receipt and label printing.
Besides exploring these elements, we will also discuss the importance of considering external factors before purchasing thermal paper. Read on to learn more about understanding and choosing your best solution.
Thermal Paper: How Does It Work?
Thermal paper is a heat-sensitive paper that alters its color when subjected to the heat produced by a thermal printhead. Thermal printers such as credit card terminals and cash registers use this paper. You should find a dependable thermal paper vendor close to you to obtain high-quality thermal paper, considering they all have comparable characteristics.
Thermal paper is a type of paper that thermal printers use to produce images. The printer uses heat to create an image by touching the paper’s surface with its thermal print head. The heat energy changes the color of the paper coating to black, transferring the image from the printer to the paper. Thermal printing is possible with small and compact printers that use various sizes of thermal paper, such as 4.4″ or 2 ¼” rolls.
Thermal paper differs from regular printing paper in numerous ways. While regular receipt paper has properties like thickness, moisture, and weight, thermal paper has additional features. These include image stability, static density, dynamic sensitivity, and density. You can test both types and compare their properties to see the difference between regular and thermal paper.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Thermal Paper
If you need to print receipts or other documents, the required paper quality will depend on its intended use. For instance, if you manage a parking ramp or outdoor ATMs, you’ll need a more durable paper quality than printing movie theatre or restaurant tickets.
Keep in mind the following aspects when purchasing thermal paper:
- Paper Quality – Determining the exact length of thermal paper when making online purchases can be challenging. The labeled length may not always match the actual length of the paper in a roll. Thus, it’s important to be cautious when buying thermal paper online. Additionally, the paper’s quality and thickness impact the print’s quality. Using high-quality thermal paper ensures that the printed text does not appear blotchy.
- Paper Roll Size – Thermal paper rolls are available in various lengths and widths, so it’s important to choose the right size based on your needs. Consider the width of your thermal printer to determine the appropriate width of the paper roll you’ll use. Longer rolls are more cost-effective, but be sure they’re compatible with your machine.
- Purchase Quantity – The amount of thermal paper you should buy depends on the number of transactions you handle. Before making a purchase, it’s crucial to think about how much storage space you have and the paper’s shelf life. Buying in bulk can be beneficial. It will help you save a lot of money and take advantage of any discounts. Store thermal paper in a dark location with low humidity and a temperature to make sure you have an adequate supply and don’t run out quickly. Also, ensure to wrap it to protect it from environmental toxins properly. Following these guidelines, you can store the paper for at least three years from the manufacturing date.
- Price – It’s necessary to evaluate pricing and consider your budget to ensure you get the most for your money. If high-quality thermal paper is available at a slightly higher price, it is advisable to opt for it to avoid future issues of poor print quality. Additionally, purchasing in bulk or choosing longer paper can help you save costs. With several brands available in the market, opting for a trusted one that delivers quality is essential. Always purchase from a reliable and trustworthy business.
- Image Quality – It’s crucial to choose thermal printer paper that matches the thermal energy produced by your printer to ensure that your printed images don’t fade quickly. Suppose thermal paper requires more heat to develop an image fully, and the printer produces that heat level. In that case, the resulting images will be more resistant to fading when exposed to high temperatures.
Also read: Selecting the Right Thermal Paper Supplier
Thermal Paper: Features To Look Out For
- Heat-Resistant – To prevent thermal receipt paper from being damaged by heat, select a heat-resistant thermal paper. For example, if your documents are kept in rooms that exceed 150 degrees, particularly during summer, the chemicals in the paper may react and make the writing unreadable. Luckily, certain thermal and ATM papers are made to endure high temperatures.
- Coating – Not all thermal receipt papers have topcoats, but those have an extra layer of protection to prevent damage from environmental factors. If you’re using thermal paper in printing applications that aren’t exposed to harsh conditions, dark-coated thermal paper without topcoats is a good option.
- Thickness – Thermal papers that are thicker and longer lasting also have shorter rolls, which means they can only print a limited number of documents. For example, 48-50 microns thick thermal papers are typically only 10 to 18 meters in length.
- Durability – If you want to keep your printed thermal paper for later use, it’s important to choose a durable and moisture-resistant brand that can be easily stored. Opt for an environmentally-friendly thermal paper that doesn’t harm the environment.
Thermal paper has proven popular over the years in terminals, POS systems, and various industrial applications. However, the range of thermal paper qualities can vary depending on the sizing, printing surface, or application types. Now that we have reviewed what thermal paper is and highlighted some essential tips to consider before buying, you are prepared with the knowledge to source quality product selections that meet your desired specifications.
For further guidance in the purchasing process, feel free to ask experts experienced in this segment of industrial supplies since they can provide you with impartial advice per individual needs. In addition, trustworthy manufacturers such as Telemark Diversified Graphics have experience offering superior quality thermal paper products that provide excellence in each aspect while protecting your budget.
Q. Mention the factors to keep in mind before purchasing thermal paper.
Before buying thermal paper, there are four main factors to consider: the size of the paper roll, the quantity to purchase, the quality of the paper, and the price. In addition, it is important to select thermal printer paper that corresponds to the thermal energy produced by your printer. This will guarantee that your printed images do not fade quickly.
Q. How is thermal paper different from regular paper?
Thermal papers have a different composition compared to regular papers, as they are covered with heat-sensitive dye and chemicals. Once subjected to high temperatures, the dye and chemicals react together, which causes a color change.
Q. How to choose a reliable thermal paper supplier?
If you want to choose a dependable supplier for thermal paper, there are a few steps you can take. Firstly, conduct research and compare different suppliers. Look for suppliers with a good reputation and consider price, delivery time, customer support, payment options, and security factors. Additionally, check the quality of thermal paper samples before making a decision.